Thursday, November 26, 2015

An Abundance of Thankfulness: Thanksgiving 2015

Bookmark and Share
“Whatever our individual troubles and challenges may be, it’s important to pause every now and then to appreciate all that we have, on every level. We need to literally “count our blessings,” give thanks for them, allow ourselves to enjoy them, and relish the experience of prosperity we already have.” Shakti Gawain



This is Noah's sixth Thanksgiving.  His seventh birthday peaking around the corner.  And each holiday season I get to enjoy one of the happiest souls to have ever been born.  Noah doesn't know of the outside troubles, the struggles that his family endures on his behalf, or feels sadness for his personal physical circumstances - he only knows that he's thankful to see mommy in the mornings, or hear his daddy's voice on the phone when he's missing him, or grateful for a little brother who helps fetch him toys when he cannot move fast enough, or a loving grandmother who brings him coloring books from the dollar store.

Noah's heart and mind are always in a place of love, understanding and most of all thankfulness for what he does have.  I don't ever feel that Noah dwells on what he's missing in his life, and if he does, it's occasional and brief. Most of all I know that Noah acknowledges and comprehends that he is loved beyond all measure and that we'd do anything to make him happy.

This year the weather is cold and it's snowing.  We're all comfortably huddled and snuggled in our warm home, with the heavenly aroma of Thanksgiving turkey cooking.  A small feast for four that came to be by the love from others.  And as a special needs parent, I give thanks for all incredible life blessings we've been given:

*Help from my mom who can occasionally offer me respite care so I can run to the grocery store or to the mailbox.

*Candy treats and care packages from friends across the pond, who continually make me feel loved and cared for.

*Those who send Noah surprises and gifts that make life better, easier and happier.

*Luke - who is the best little brother a child like Noah could ever want or need. I adore his sweet and tender ways.

*Chris, who tirelessly works as hard as he can to help provide for his family and who makes us all the center of his universe.

*My Keurig coffee machine that's hanging in there with me even though I am sure I overuse it daily. 

*For all those who are patient and understanding enough with me to give me the freedom to express myself without judgment on the best and worst days special needs parenting has to offer.

And the biggest blessing that we've all been granted the gift of being together. 

May your Thanksgiving be filled with an abundance of blessings and appreciation for all that is around you. 

Love,




Noah's Miracle by Stacy Warden is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.