Saturday, May 7, 2011

A Grandmother's Love (Happy Mother's Day)

Bookmark and Share


Before Noah was born, my mother loved him. After he was born she loved him even more...

When our lives were shattered with Noah's diagnosis, my mother found a way to hold us all together. We felt the loss of many friends and family members who were unable to cope with our circumstances, yet my mother stayed by our side, and constantly reminded us we were not alone. She has dried the tears that Chris and I both have cried and shared in our small joys. She's hugged us both during some of our hardest days and nights. Encouraged us every step of the way that we were doing a good job with Noah. She never waivers with hope and faith and continues to believe all things are possible. In the middle of the night you can often find her snuggled next to Noah. She comes at all times of the day to soothe a distraught toddler and to help his overwhelmed and exhausted parents. She holds our hands through hospital visits, and accompanies us to all emergencies, even holding her small grandson's hands in an ambulance ride.

Knowing our ability to get out is harder than most, she often shops for us, tends to errands and picks up dog food on her way home from a long day at work. She gets up hours early before work to come assist me in getting my morning started and help with Noah, knowing that it makes her day longer and more tiresome. She gives of her heart and time so freely, never expecting anything in return. When she looks at Noah it is with such intense love, that she sees no physical limitations, she speaks to him when words do not exist. She's learned how to carefully feed, clothe and bathe his fragile and floppy body, and learned to protect his head as he fumbles to find control. She holds him when he's upset and rocks him to sleep so ever gently in her arms. His long body stretched out across her lap, as she holds him as if here were still the tiny baby we brought home. All the while looking at him with such awe.

Noah is never off her mind as she comes home with clothing, and supplies, and diapers for him or toys that might help him with his development, all the while she lets her own wants and needs go to provide for this tiny little person that she adores. She has immeasurable patience for Noah, never getting upset that he cannot do something or requires extra help and attention. Never once has she ever spoken an ill word, gotten upset with him, or given him an unfavorable glance. She is Noah's earthly angel guiding him the best that she can. We are so blessed that she is along this journey with us.

She did not stop mothering when my brothers and I were grown. She's continued to love us and provide for us the best she can even into our adulthood, sticking by our sides always, unconditionally, and without limits. A mother's job is never done, it's never over, it is death do you part. And my mother has embraced her special needs grandchild with open arms, loving him beyond all words. She is amazing, and everything I hope I can be for my children now and always.

My mother has taught me that we are equal in this world and that no one person is ever better than another. She's kept me humble, even when my goals and dreams were soaring in the clouds. She's comforted me during my mistakes, and taught me how to learn from them. She's taught important lessons like "you can catch more bees with honey than vinegar", "patience is a virtue," and "good things come to those who wait." She has demonstrated on giving without receiving as she often gives her last pennies away to those she sees on the streets, is willing to talk to a stranger that has no home or gives a ride to a stranded person in need. I have learned from her example. She has taught me to love thy neighbor no matter what and to find at least one good thing about each person I meet. She has helped mold and craft me into the person I am today.

Without her important life lessons, like "put yourself in someone else's shoes," and "To never judge a book by its cover," I wouldn't have been properly prepared for raising a child with special needs. Because of her I have tried to become a person who is kind, patient, non-judgmental, fair, honest and loving. She's taught me to hold my head strong even when the odds seem against me, she's taught me to stand up for myself and for others when I see wrongdoing. She's given me the confidence and love to continue to grow as a person, to not limit myself in only what I know today, but to encourages me to seek out new personal growth in each day, to learn something new, and most of all to count all my blessings. I give my thanks to her today and everyday for the special person that she is.

"A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts." Washington Irving

With Love,







Noah's Miracle by Stacy Warden is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.