Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Buckets of Fun

Bookmark and Share
Yesterday on a last minute whim I decided to call McDonald's to see if they would help me provide Halloween Mr. Potato Head Buckets, which their happy meals currently come in, for all the kids in Noah's sensory class. They were so kind and helped me, so off I went to pick up buckets, with Halloween candy I had in the house in little baggies for those kids that were able to eat candy. The kids loved their buckets and did a great job putting Mr. Potato Head stickers on them. I'll have to send a thank you note to McDonald's for their kindness.

Noah was a little fussy in class yesterday, I think he's a bit tired, teething some bigger teeth, and the wind was clearly blowing both of our auras around. He's really trying hard in therapy. I know that things are difficult for him. He's making good efforts to sit for small amounts of seconds. And when I mean small there isn't enough time to probably even take a picture. He's also trying to stay in a crawl position on a wedge pillow in therapy with his head up, which is something that is still very challenging for him, head and trunk control still needs a lot of work for him. His upper body just seems so weak.

We went out to dinner with family last night, Noah always loves dinning out. He loves to people watch. And he probably always knows that I will order him something that he can eat off the desert menu! I think he gets that sweet tooth from his daddy. Sometimes I wonder how we'll do things like this in the future. It's a bit complicated now toting around a highchair everywhere we go, because Noah lacks body support to sit in the ones restaurants provide. He may never be able to sit in a chair without support, I just don't know. But those closet to us, always seem to pitch in and help us make it work, one holds a baby, the other the highchair, another our food in doggie bags... when you have a special needs little one there are never enough welcomed hands. And Chris and I always so grateful and appreciative for all the extra support and help that it often takes getting Noah place to place.

Noah has a much needed break from therapy today, we'll be playing together today and staying warm, he's had a very busy schedule and I know he really needs this day off just to be Noah. He's turning into quite the snuggle bug demanding to sleep now in our bed for naps, but I must admit I love to cuddle and it's so much easier than holding him on the couch during naps or having to bounce him for hours on a ball like I once had to for all of his sensory issues. We've come a long way with little things. Sure there are no big milestones yet, but I must admit looking back on how hard a neurologically challenged baby was to care for as a newborn, we've made progress - as small as it is. I honestly don't know how I did it, maybe I knew there was no other choice. I don't know. It was the toughest thing I've ever done in my life - in a lot of ways it continues to be, just in a different way. I thank God that he sent Noah a daddy that never left our sides, and was always my relief and second line of defense when all else failed. Noah will take a "village" to help him probably his entire life.

I read this quote the other day, and just fell in love with it thinking about Noah being a little pencil making a difference in this world.

"I am a little pencil in the hand of a writing God who is sending a love letter to the world."
~Mother Teresa

Love,


Creative Commons License
Noah's Miracle by Stacy Warden is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.